Tuesday, November 25, 2008

An Attitude of Gratitude Day Six

I have 1906 songs on my iTunes list. In fact, if I stayed up for five days straight I would have enough music to keep me up and going the entire time. I love music. I always have. I took piano lessons for 10 years. Before that I was singing in church with my family. I sang in the choir and was a band geek, too.

I have posted numerous times about music on this blog. It plays such an important role in my life. It has the power to change my emotions. It isn't just the melody part of the song that I find enchanting, either. I hear music and it's as though I can actually FEEL it. The words, the dynamics, the way the person sings the song....all affect me. I love that I can find a song that can match my mood and help me to express my feelings.

What a beautiful gift music is. It would be an awfully quiet world without it. Seriously, what do you think about when you hear the titles of these songs?

The Star Spangled Banner
O Holy Night
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Love Is A Battlefied
Somewhere Out There
Respect
Thriller
Imagine
You Are My Sunshine
We Will Rock You
I Will Survive

Any of them make you smile? take you on a little flashback? Who doesn't feel pride when hearing a patriotic song? Or feel warm and fuzzy when hearing a Christmas carol? What about a song to remind you of a higher power? Or a song to help you belt out your frustrations? Remember the song that you and your friends sang back in the day? What a fun memory. And then there's that lullaby you sing to your kids that warms your heart every time.

I am so grateful for music. I am grateful for a mom who MADE me keep taking lessons when I wanted to quit and just be a punky teenager. I am grateful to those who are gifted enough to be able to write such wonderful songs. And....I'm grateful that my children have developed this love of music as well. I know it is something they will be able to use EVERY day. I know I do......

1 comments:

Unknown said...

it took me a second to realize you didn't mean songs from the YEAR 1906. :) i kept looking at the list going, these aren't THAT old! :)

i think i need some coffee...