Monday, April 6, 2009

Unique Freak

I slept so crappy last night. Of course, this means I wake up groggy and still tired. Because I am a mommy I still have no choice but to get out of bed. I have work today, the sprinkler man starts today, and I have a parent/teacher conference after school. Busy stuff. I'm half blind and so I wear contacts. I've worn them for 15 years. Nothing new right? Over the years my eyes have grown tired of being suffocated by contacts and so I have been forced to buy/wear the slightly more expensive daily contacts. Honestly, even though they cost a bit more, I LOVE them. Before dailies my eyes were always sore and I felt like I had rocks in my eyes. Actually, it ended up being irritated eye lids. Weird huh? Yeah...apparently the insides of my eye sockets HATED contacts and wished to let me know by forming small bumps on my eye lids. I'm a freak.....I know. So, dailies it was and I love that every morning I get to put in a fresh pair of contacts and then I just throw them away at night. No washing, no storing, no stressing over a lost contact.
This morning, as with every other morning, started with a fresh pair of contacts. I always put the right contact in first. Why? No idea. But that's the way it's supposed to be.....just go with it. Moving on to the left eye here....OUCH! Put in contact, searing pain in eye....so, pull out contact. Rinse with contact solution and put back in eye. A bit better, but the eye is still a bit sore. I chalk it up to irritation from the initial insertion of said contact.
My morning progresses....off to work. Eye is still bothering me a bit. I rub it, put eye drops in, and scan the surface of my eye ball searching for a fleck of WHATEVER the crap it could be that is making my eye have a boo-boo. Eye starts to feel worse. What the heck?!?! Go home....am so irritated I move straight to the pantry to look for chocolate. Dang me and my decision to NOT buy sweets so I wouldn't be tempted to eat them.
Rub eye.....
HOLY HECK! Burning! Eye pain! Can't see out of my left eye!
Run to the bathroom....check the eyeball. Contact is MIA. Finally find it underneath the lower eyelid. Only problem is that it is only half of the contact. Eye is still burning. I dig out the other half of the contact. Eye is now oozing watery tears. Dang it! Now I can see out of one eye and am half blind in the other. Just what I need.....
It hurts to blink. So, the obvious choice is to just NOT blink. Right? The pain will eventually go away. Of course, what do you do when your eye is oozing and stinging like poison ivy? You check your email! Duh! Coincidentally {or maybe it was fate......} my friend was online too and sent me an IM about girls night. Being the good friend that I am, I change the subject and whine about my eye. Friend freaks, tells me to go to the eye doctor before I scratch my eye and cause damage.
WHATEVER CRAZY FRIEND! I am just fine, it just hurts a litte bit {A LOT} and it will feel better soon.
Phone rings....it's the crazy friend. :0) Apparently I have no choice, I MUST call the doctor and I MUST drop my daughter off at her house whilst I go to the doctor. Gentle nudging she calls it. So, I call doc, get appointment, drop off daughter to the crazy friends house :0) and go see doctor. The office lady looks at me like I'm a weirdo. Is my eye red? NOPE. Do I look like my eye is under SEVERE duress? NOPE. But hey....I just really wanted to go see my eye doctor. I've missed him terribly so. So, office lady....BACK OFF!
I am led into the examination room and climb into "the chair". Explain my sad story to the doctor man. He wants to shine a light into my eye. He is humoring me.
After being blinded by extremely bright lights he tells me, "Yeah, it looks like you've scratched your eye somehow."
HAH! All you eye doctor people! Poo on you!
My eye is still hurting like the dickens....even moreso now that the eye doctor man drips some yellow crap into my eye to get a "better look" at the scratch. Nothing like having something poured into an open wound on your eyeball.
He wants to know if I was sure I got all of the pieces of the contact out of my eye. Um, I think so. I didn't really line up the two pieces to see if they fit together like a puzzle. My eye was kind of oozing at that point. So, he figures he better check to make sure that there isn't anything left in my eye.
Have you ever had your eyelid flipped inside out? It doesn't hurt, but it definitely feels wierd.

Just so you are following here....scratched eyeball, yellow crap poured into scratch, and eyelid turned inside out. "Look down" he says. I do and then hear, "Oh, here's the problem. Hold still, this might feel wierd." I'm thinking wierd like having my eyelid turned inside out. Yeah...no. He takes some tweezers, pokes them into my eye and literally PLUCKS out something from inside my eyelid. Then I hear, "Wow. I have never seen anything quite like that before." What? What haven't you seen? I'm still strapped in with my eyelid inside out looking down. He checks for anthing else, but at this point I am apparently free and clear.
I blinked. It didn't hurt. Hallelujah!
Then I hear, "Yeah, I just have never seen anything like that before." {Didn't he just say that?} I ask him if it was some huge thing he found. He grabs the tweezers and holds them up in the light for me. A little plastic sliver.....that's what it was. I had gotten a sliver embedded in my eyelid. How does one do that? Seriously!
I think he tells me he has never seen anything like that before three more times before I leave his office. Apparently it's NOT normal to get a sliver inside your eyelid. I can safely assume that this means that not many people have had a doctor shove a freaking pair of tweezers inside their eye to pluck a sliver out. You know, like you would if you had a sliver on your finger. Can I just tell you that it hurt like a mother! Sigh.
Apparently if something NOT normal is going to happen, it's going to happen to me. I also had to have my jaw, neck, upper back, and rib put back into place by my chiropractor today. I'm feeling really old people......
For my crazy friend.....
The doctor said he was really glad that I came in so quickly to get it taken care of because it could have caused a lot more damage to my eye than it did. So, you can tell me I told you so all you want. My eyeball thanks you. :0) And thanks for taking my daughter. I appreciate your willingness to help out this one-eyed unique freak here.
Thankfully I should be back in tip top shape tomorrow. If not, eye doctor says the scratch will end up infected and I'll have to go and visit him again. Good odds right? :0)
I'll keep you posted. :0)

7 comments:

Montay said...

Told You So !!! ;) That would be you the one eyed Freek tee hee hee

sweetleslie said...

I can literally sympathize with you! I did not have a sliver in my eye;however, i did have stitchjes and man my eye hurt like the dickens and I swear you could hear the Halleluiah Chorus once the source of the pain was gone! Oh, I had surgery on my eye. They repaired a whole in my retina in case you didn't know. It was about a month ago.Hence the stitches in my eye(they didn't all dissolve like they were supposed to).
I'm glad that everything turned out okay.

Bonnie B. said...

OW!!! my eyes are watering, now. montay is brilliant, and you are not a freak.

Anonymous said...

Oh Ash, you poor thing! What a crazy thing to happen to your eye! I'm glad that your friend insisted that you go into the doctor. I hope your eye feels better soon. :)

Momma Mary said...

NEVER mess with the eyeball!! :) I was working and had some cieling dust land in my eye and scratch it once. I've gone through all of that -- the yellow stuff (iodine), poking and prodding and people thinking I'm nuts -- before. Only the doctor had to use a needle to get the stuff out of my eye. Yuck. :) Your friend is right! Don't mess with the eyeball!

AmyJ said...

Well, according to this post, I too am a freak. I also have the irritated eyelid disease. Although, taking out my contacts for awhile in the evening has helped. I am so sorry! Hope its better for tomorrow.

Shannon said...

WOW! Ashley, that is quite the story. Sorry it was so painful, but I'm glad you got it fixed so quickly! no fun at all, hop you have had a better week now!